2009年5月13日星期三

My Dell battery experience

My Dell battery experience


Since around May of 2005, my household has purchased three laptops from Dell: one Inspiron 9300 for me, one Inspiron 9300 for my wife, and one Inspiron 6000 for my daughter. About a week ago, I heard of a massive recall effort by Dell regarding potentially explosive batteries. I dutifully powered my laptop off, popped the battery from the bottom of it, and checked Hp 346970-001 battery the serial number. It was fine. When I got home, I did the Hp 346970-001 battery same thing to my wife’s laptop. Hers was fine as well. Finally, I checked my daughter’s laptop. BINGO! We have a winner! (Wasn’t there a Murphy’s law about always finding something in the last place you look for it? I guess that doesn’t apply here…)


With battery in hand, I brought up the Dell battery recall website and entered the serial number into the appropriate fields and hit the “Submit PPID Number(s)” button. It just brought up the same page again. After about the fifth time of doing it, I realized that my script blocking Firefox extension Hp HSTNN-DB02 battery was doing its job all too well. After enabling javascript on the page, I saw a message that said something to the effect that I needed a replacement battery and should proceed to fill out some information so they could ship me one. That was August 17.


On August 21, I received an email stating that the battery had shipped. On August 22, the battery arrived. The whole process was much more painless (with the exception of the javascript glitch) than I expected it to be.


However, in the instructions that I received from Dell, I am told to put my old battery in the box they sent and mail it back to them. I didn’t notice a hazardous materials stamp on the box. Nor did I notice a “Caution: exploding battery enclosed” label to affix to the box. I don’t want to be alarmist here, or raise false concern, but Hp HSTNN-UB02 battery is this really responsible? Haven’t some of these batteries exploded/caught flame while the laptop was not powered on or plugged in? This just seems a little concerning to me. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Am I worrying too much? Should I just send it and let the US Postal service worry about it?


INSPIRON 9300 Experience.


I was really worried first time i read about the battery problem, but then i realize that given the country where i live and the normal heat in the environment, i might be part of the lucky population that does not have the issues.


I came to this conclusion because Dominican Republic normal temperature in summer is around 36-40 Celsuis Hp DP390A battery, Degrees, i usually leave the laptop on, downloading stuff and compiling open source apps, most of the time openoffice2.0, bsd kernel and userland, so it stays on for no less than 20-22 hours straight, with only a fan, which by the way has a very slow speed.


My laptop has being working nicely under these conditions for the last 13 Months or so.


The only concern i have is that i was able to see the laptop profile in my dell account, including the battery part id, but that information is not available now, weird.

没有评论:

发表评论